Search My Recipes

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Best Ever

Blueberry Pancakes
3/4 Cup wheat flour
1/2 Cup white flour
1 TSP Baking powder
1/2 TSP salt
2 TBS sugar
1 Egg
1 1/4 Cup low-fat milk
2 TBS unsweetened applesauce
3/4 Cup blueberries, plus more for serving

I guess I out did myself this morning, because Rich said these pancakes were the best pancakes he ever had...ever!!  That's a bold statement to make since I'm always making pancakes on the weekends and I've probably made dozens of different kinds.  I have tried many recipes from scratch, experimenting with different ingredients and toppings.  I have even been guilty of using pancake mixes. But these may just be the best (and healthiest) I've made to date.  I love the texture of whole wheat pancakes, but adding some white flour keeps these from becoming too dense.  While you can certainly use oil, applesauce is an excellent substitute and reduces the fat content (then you can splurge on the butter and syrup). 

In a large bowl mix the flours, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Beat the egg, milk and applesauce in a separate bowl.  Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry, and whisk until just combined.  Fold in the blueberries.  Cook in batches on a griddle or hot pan. 

I like to serve with fresh blueberries and bananas (I love the combination of the two) and a healthy dose of pure maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.