Search My Recipes

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Healthy Resolutions

Roasted Mushroom and Green Bean Farro Salad
Adapted from ClosetCooking.com
2 Cups water
1 Cup farro
8 OZ mushrooms, quartered
1 LB green beans, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
1 TBS oil
1 TBS thyme, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 Cup feta, crumbled
1/4 Cup walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
1/4 Cup balsamic vinaigrette, preferably homemade

I really didn't make any New Year's resolutions this year (that is, any I actually intended to keep), so I decided to keep-up the healthy habits I picked up from last year instead.  One of those is bringing lunch into work more often.  Not only has it saved me a ton of money so far., but I also feel better knowing exactly where my food is coming from.  I don't want to get stuck eating the same thing every day, so I've been searching for easy, make-ahead recipes that are still commute friendly.  I haven't cooked with farro before, so I decided to give this hearty salad a try for this week's lunch.  You can easily add any vegetable, nut or cheese to this, but I love the combination of all these ingredients.  Much better than those limp salads from the deli!
  
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Bring water and farro to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until farro is al dente (about 20 minutes).  Set aside.

Toss the mushrooms and green beans in the oil, thyme, salt and pepper and place them on a baking sheet in a single layer.  Roast until they start to caramelize, about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.  Let cool.

Mix farro, vegetables, cheese and nuts.  Toss with vinaigrette and sprinkle with more thyme if desired.  Divide into containers, then just grab and go in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.