Search My Recipes

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chicken in Red Curry Sauce

Chicken in Red Curry Sauce
3 Chicken breasts, cut into strips
Salt and pepper
1 Small onion
2 TBS vegetable oil
1-inch cube of peeled fresh ginger root, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Red bell pepper
2 TBS curry powder
1 TSP crushed red pepper
1 Cup low-salt chicken broth
28 OZ can plum tomatoes, drained well and chopped fine
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Brown rice for serving

In Costa Rica we had a delicious curried coconut-crusted red snapper prepared by our chef, Johann. I wasn't able to gather all the ingredients for this dish, so I thought I would start experimenting with some flavors to get the curry sauce down. Since I didn't have snapper or coconut on hand, I would have to make due with chicken and a tomato-based sauce. I think adding coconut milk and smoothing out the sauce in a blender, will come pretty close to Johann's creation. You could also add plain yogurt to this sauce. Stay tuned as I explore further, but in the mean time this dish is pretty good as it is. I also used the Uncle Ben's 90 second microwavable pouches, to make this a super-quick and easy dinner.

Heat oil in a large saute pan, season chicken with salt and pepper and cook until no longer pink. Add garlic, ginger, onions and peppers. Stir in curry powder and red pepper and cook until fragrant and veggies begin to soften. Add the tomatoes and broth, simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes and stir in the lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.