Search My Recipes

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Shrimp and Chorizo Skewers with Smoky Paprika Glaze

Shrimp and Chorizo Skewers with Smoky Paprika Glaze
Adapted from Bon Appétit
3/4 Cup olive oil
4 Large garlic cloves, pressed
2 TBS chopped thyme
5 TSP smoked paprika
4 TSP sherry vinegar
3/4 TSP salt
1/2 TSP freshly ground black pepper
1/2 TSP dried crushed red pepper
12 Uncooked extra-large shrimp, peeled, deveined
12 1-inch-long pieces chorizo or other fully cooked smoked sausages
12 Cherry tomatoes
12 2-layer sections of red onion wedges
Nonstick vegetable oil spray

All of this talk about The Rapture got me thinking...what would I want my last meal to be?  While it would be nice to splurge on a 10 course meal at Per Se or Jean Georges, it's hard enough to get a table on a Saturday night last minute as it is, let alone if the world is ending.  But I think there is nothing I would want more than an indulgent home cooked feast (that would include a variety of expensive, high-fat, cheesy/buttery foods), a bottle of wine, and a bunch of close friends and loved ones.  Since 6 PM came and went by the time I hit the market, I decided to hold off on the filet mignon, lobsters and brie.  Shrimp will do for now, and I can still get my surf and turf fix with these delicious shrimp and smoked sausage skewers from Bon Appétit.

Whisk oil, garlic, thyme, smoked paprika, sherry vinegar, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper in small bowl to blend for the glaze.  I made half the glaze here, but the extra can be used as a dipping sauce. 

Alternately thread shrimp, sausage, tomatoes, and onion wedges on each skewer.  Keep refridgerated until ready to grill. 

Coat grill rack or grill pan with nonstick spray and heat over medium-high heat. Brush skewers on both sides with glaze. Grill until shrimp are opaque in center, turning and brushing occasionally with more glaze, 6 to 8 minutes.

Serve with a salad, grilled bread and lemon wedges.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.