Search My Recipes

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tofu Tuesday

Vegetarian Fried Rice
2 Cups cooked brown rice
1 TBS,  plus 1 TSP vegetable oil
1 Red bell pepper, diced
1 Yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 Onion, diced
1 Cup shelled edamame (thaw if frozen)
1 Block of tofu, cubed
1 TSP sesame oil
2 TBS soy sauce
1 TSP crushed red pepper flakes
2 Eggs, lightly beaten

I'm sure you've heard of "Meatless Mondays," but I'm officially making tonight "Tofu Tuesday."  Browsing through the tofu section at the grocery store, we found some interesting new items.  It seems like there are much more meatless options today then there have been in recent memories - tofu in every flavor possible, tempeh, seitan, tofurky, faux sausages and nuggets.  While I have experimented with other meat substitutes, I've always been most partial to the taste and texture of tofu.  Rich hates mushy tofu and I hate when my tofu falls apart when stir-frying (I usually bake my tofu cubes first for crispness, but that adds an extra step - not ideal for a busy night), so Wildwood Organics super firm tofu caught our eye.  It weighs 5 pounds and feels like a rubber brick, but it held up nicely to my stir-frying since there was very little excess water.  This Ellie Krieger dish is a great go-to tofu recipe, and I've made it many times before with different variations.  Using this tofu makes this dish extra filling, so I don't think the meat was ever missed!

Heat oil in a large pan or wok over medium-high heat.  Add the peppers and onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes.  Add the tofu, cook until it begins to brown.  Add the edamame and sauté for 1 minute more.  Add the cooked rice with the sesame oil, soy sauce and crushed red pepper.  Stir to combine, then push to the sides of the pan adding the teaspoon of oil.  Add the beaten eggs and let cook until they begin set.  Stir everything to combine. Serve with chili sauce.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.