Search My Recipes

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Swedish Meatballs

Swedish Meatballs
Adapted from Epicurious.com
1 LB ground beef
3/4 Cup bread crumbs, soaked in 1/2 cup milk
1 Egg
1/2 Onion, grated and drained
Salt and pepper
1/2 TSP allspice
1/4 TSP nutmeg
4 TBS butter
1-1/2 TBS flour
1 Cup chicken stock
1/2 Cup sour cream
Lingonberry or raspberry jam for serving

While I appreciated the unusually warm October weekend, I'm ready for cooler temperatures and warm, comforting food.  There's nothing wrong with the grilled fare and cool salads of summer, but some of my favorite dishes happen to be much heartier. 

I love my mom's Swedish meatballs, but I have never made them myself even though Rich has put in several requests.  This is definitely the type of warm, comforting food I was looking for - ground beef infused with spices and a luscious gravy.  Rich, who has been to Sweden, taught me to serve with jam as the Swedish traditionally do.  It sounds really strange, but they actually work together really well!

Combine the beef, bread crumb mixture, egg, onion, salt, pepper, allspice and nutmeg in a large bowl.  divide the mixture into 1-inch diameter meatballs.

Heat half the butter in a large skillet and begin to brown in batches.  About 10 minutes per batch. 

Set aside the meatballs and remove most of the drippings from the pan.  Stir in the flour and remaining butter to the pan.  Add the stock, and stir until the mixture begins to thicken.  Strain the sauce through a fine sieve to remove and lumps and return to pan.  Reduce heat to low and stir in the sour cream.  Return the meatballs to the pan and let cook for a few minutes more.

Don't forget the jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.