Search My Recipes

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Pistachio-Crusted Tofu with Ponzu Sauce

Pistachio-Crusted Tofu with Ponzu Sauce
1 Block of extra-firm tofu
1 Cup Pistachios
1/4 Cup mayonnaise
1/4 Cup ponzu sauce

Soba Noodles with Eggplant and Peppers
1 package of soba noodles
1 Small eggplant, diced
1 Red bell pepper, diced
1 Yellow bell pepper, diced
Rice wine vinegar
Red pepper flakes

I found this recipe in Bon Appetit, and I just had to try it because I'm always looking for new ways to prepare tofu. At first I thought it sounded pretty strange, but Rich and I love pistachios! I'm sure this recipe would also work great with peanuts or even sesame seeds if pistachios aren't your thing. For my side, I'm going to cook up some soba noodles and toss with veggies and a little rice wine vinegar. Consider this an adventure in Asian-fusion cooking.

I'm making a few alterations to lighten this dish up. I'm going to bake the tofu, instead of frying it, and I'm going to leave out the extra mayo for the dipping sauce. First, finely crush the pistachios and add to a shallow dish for dredging. Whisk the mayonnaise with the ponzu sauce in a separate dish. Drain the tofu well and pat dry. Cut into 1 inch squares and coat with the mayonnaise mixture. Then dip into the pistachios. Make sure you really finely chop the pistachios, otherwise they won't stick as well. Place on a baking sheet coated with non-stick spray. Bake for 30-40 minutes in a 375 degree oven.

In the mean time, cook soba noodles according to package directions. Saute the chopped eggplant and peppers in oil with salt and pepper until soft. Drain the noodles and add to the sauteed vegetables. Toss with the rice wine vinegar and red pepper flakes.

Serve with extra ponzu sauce on the side.

P.S. The soba noodles taste even better the next day, so you can make ahead!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.