Search My Recipes

Monday, September 13, 2010

Vegetarian Fajitas with Black Bean Salad

Vegetarian Fajitas
1 package of sliced mushrooms
1 Red Pepper
1 Zucchini
1 Small onion
1/2 TSP garlic powder
1/2 TSP cumin
1/2 TSP cayenne pepper (or less, depending on the amount of heat your looking for)
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Salt and pepper
Tortillas
Grated cheese, for serving
Salsa, for serving

Black Bean Salad
1 Can black beans
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Green onion
1/2 TSP garlic powder
1/2 TSP cumin
1/2 TSP cayenne pepper (ditto)
1 TBS EVOO
Salt and pepper

A major culinary event occurs every summer at my parent's house, and that event is when my dad harvests all the tomatoes and peppers from his garden to make (and can) his own salsa. I had to make sure I secured my very own jar before they disappear! It's so good, I could probably eat the entire jar myself with a spoon, but I'm going to make fajitas instead! On the side, I'm going to make a black bean salad.

I cut peppers, zucchini and onion into thin strips so they will cook fast in a saute or grill pan. If the mushroom slices are thick, slice them in half. Toss with the lime juice, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Grill until soft and a little charred.

In the meantime,prepare the bean salad. Drain and rinse the black beans. Toss in a bowl with lime juice, EVOO, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne. Add thin slices of green onion, then season with salt and pepper. Let sit in the fridge until ready to serve. Feel free to add more veggies or even avocado to this salad!

Grate some cheese (sharp cheddar, monterey jack, or whatever you like) for the fajitas and warm up the tortillas in a hot pan. Serve with the black bean salad on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.