Search My Recipes

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Making Sauces Part I

White Cheese Sauce
2 TBS unsalted butter
2 TBS flour
1 Cup milk, plus more as needed
1/4 Cup Jarlsberg cheese
1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and white pepper

I've started taking online cooking classes for fun, since I still consider myself an amateur in the kitchen and still have so much to learn. I have always been mystified by sauces, so my recent lessons have been focusing on the 5 basic "mother sauces." I think I have my tomato sauce down, so on to roux-based sauces like bechamel which can be used for lasagnas or pot pies. This fondue-like sauce goes great with ham and spinach crepes (or just for dipping with a warm loaf of French bread).

For the roux, melt butter over low heat. Slowly whisk in flour, and stir until smooth. Add the milk slowly, making sure to whisk constantly. Let reduce slightly, then stir in the cheese a bit at a time. Add more milk if the sauce becomes too thick. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. You can also season with a bit of nutmeg or paprika. Keep warm until serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.