Search My Recipes

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Make Your Own...

Granola
4 Cups old-fashioned oats
1 Cup All-bran cereal
1 Cup wheat germ
1 Cup nuts and/or seeds (such as almonds, walnuts and sunflower seeds)
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1 TSP cinnamon
1/4 Cup honey
1/2 Cup vegetable oil

I love granola, and I always keep a stash in my pantry.  I pour it over yogurt or eat as a cereal with milk for breakfast, or I eat it right out of the package as a snack.  Not only are most packaged granolas loaded with sugars, they can also be pricey.  Making your own granola is not only easy, but it also allows you to control the sugar and the ingredients.  I've seen dozens of different recipes, but I chose this recipe from HonestCooking.com since it didn't have a huge list of ingredients.  I just used almonds and a pinch of cinnamon, but the fruit and nut flavor combinations here are endless.  This recipe makes A LOT, so I will be in sweet, crunchy heaven for the next few weeks.     

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl.  Spread the mixture onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake  for 15-30 minutes, making sure to stir every 3-5 minutes to prevent burning or sticking. The granola is done when it turns golden brown. Stir immediately, then let cool on the pan.  Store in a sealed container. 


Avocado Popsicles
1 Avocado
1/4 Cup cocnut milk
1/4 Cup cream
1/4 Cup sugar
Pinch of salt
Popsicle mold

One of the best culinary purchases I made last summer was a popsicle mold.  Popsicles are the perfect summertime snack, and by making your own you can control the sugar and the ingredients.  I couldn't wait to try this unique recipe from Yum Sugar, since I have been obsessing over avocado-based desserts lately.  Sounds weird, but if you like avocados, you'll love these.  I used light coconut milk and 1% milk to lighten these up, but they are still pretty rich and creamy. 

Cut the avocado flesh into cubes and add to a blender with the coconut milk, milk, sugar and salt.  Blend until smooth, adding more liquid if needed.  Pour into molds and place in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.