Search My Recipes

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Asparagus Pea and Turkey Bacon Frittata

Asparagus Pea and Turkey Bacon Frittata
6 Eggs and 2 egg whites
2 TBS whole milk
1 Cup peas
1 Cup asparagus
5 Strips of turkey bacon
1/4 Onion, diced
2 Cloves garlic
Salt and pepper
1/3 Cup grated smoked mozzarella
Cooking spray

Tools
Oven-safe, non-stick skillet

We've been eating pizza all week (homemade of course!), so tonight I need something that's lighter on carbs. Frittatas are my new favorite go-to dinner. While my last frittata was a success, I made a few changes to the egg base to improve on texture. You can substitute any of the vegetables or meats, but I really like the combination of peas, bacon, and cheese. Yum!

For the veggies, bring some salted water to a boil. Preheat broiler. I throw in my asparagus pieces first and let them cook for 2-3 minutes. I add the peas about one minute before I take out the asparagus. Drain and rinse with ice cold water, so they stop cooking. Cook up the turkey bacon (regular bacon or pancetta would also work great with this dish). until nice and crispy. In the meantime whisk the eggs in a bowl with the milk. I found that adding the milk and egg whites makes the frittata fluffier. I've also seen recipes that add heavy cream. Remove bacon from pan and crumble when cool. Mix veggies and bacon into the eggs and season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Spray oven-safe, non-stick pan with cooking spray, add garlic and onions and let cook until they just begin to brown. Add egg mixture to pan and grate the smoked mozzarella over the top as it cooks over medium heat. Once the edges are set, finish in the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm.

We had these beautiful little tomatoes, so I quartered them and dressed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to serve with my frittata. So satisfying, no need for bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.