Search My Recipes

Monday, August 16, 2010

Spinach Turkey Meatballs with Fresh Tomato Sauce and Pappardelle

Spinach Turkey Meatballs
1 Pound ground turkey
10 Oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 Eggs
5 Oz plain bread crumbs
1 Clove garlic
1/4 Onion
Salt and pepper

Fresh Tomato Sauce
1 35oz can of plum tomatoes
1/4 Cup of EVOO
4 cloves of garlic, sliced in half
Salt & pepper to taste
3 basil leaves, washed, patted dry and chopped
1 Pound pappardelle pasta

My mom is the queen of meatballs. She has mastered almost every type, from Italian to Swedish (my personal favorite). As an heir to the meatball thrown, I must contribute my own variation. So here is my take on meatballs using ground turkey. As a young chef, living away from home, I would buy (GASP!) pre-made turkey meatballs as a healthier option. I'm also adding spinach to my turkey meatballs because I like the idea of packing your protein and veggies into one little package.

I start with the sauce, since you can let that simmer away while everything else cooks. Heat olive oil in sauce pot and add chunks of garlic. When garlic is brown, add plum tomatoes with the juices, crushing them with a wooden spoon. Add 1/3-1/2 cup of water to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 20-30 minutes. Start boiling salted water for the pasta.

In the mean time, finally dice-up the onion and garlic. Add with bread crumbs, spinach, salt and pepper to bowl of ground turkey. Make sure you squeeze the spinach, so it's almost dry. Add the eggs and mix until combined. Brown in frying pan with cooking spray, then finish cooking in a 350 degree oven.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Top al dente pasta with sauce, meatballs and Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.