Search My Recipes

Monday, August 9, 2010

Chicken Kebabs with Green Chutney and Poori

Easy Chicken Kebabs
3-4 Chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
3 TBS plain yogurt
2 TBS chickpea flour (also called besan, found in most Indian markets)
1/2 TSP salt
2 TBS lemon juice
2 TBS ginger, minced
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1/4 TSP cumin
1/2 TSP turmeric
1/4 TSP cayenne
1/2 TSP garam masala (can be found in some grocery stores, or Indian markets)

Fresh Green Chutney
6 TBS plain yogurt
2 TBS chopped cilantro
2 TBS chopped mint
1 TBS Lemon juice
Salt to taste

Poori
2 Cups chipati flour (or 1 cup all-purpose, 1 cup whole wheat mixture)
2 TBS oil
7-8 TBS milk or water
1/2 TSP salt

My veggie curry is simmering away, so now I can work on the other dishes.

Instead of rice, I want to serve a bread with my meal. I could have easily purchased any of the pre-made naan breads they have at the Indian grocery, but the poori (fried puffed bread) recipe looks simple enough. Mix flour in a bowl with salt (I used the mixture of white and wheat flour). Drizzle in the oil and mix with your fingers. Slowly add the water or milk until the dough begins to form. Knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth. Roll into a ball and keep covered until ready. These should be made right before serving.

For the chutney, roughly chop the mint and cilantro. Mix in with the yogurt and lemon in a small bowl. Season with salt. Refrigerate.

Pre-heat the broiler for the chicken. In bowl mix together the yogurt, flour, lemon juice, salt, ginger, garlic, and spices. Mix well, then toss in the chicken chunks. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Thread the chicken onto skewers and arrange on broiler pan. Broil for 5 minutes or more, until the chicken is opaque and lightly browned. The recipe says to baste the chicken with oil or clarified butter, which I'm sure makes the chicken even more sumptuous, but since I'm serving with fried bread I'm going to spare us from the extra fat.

Heat up the oil for the poori. Divide into 12 balls of dough and roll out into 5 inch diameter circles. Gently place in hot oil, and push down sides with the back of a slotted spoon. These should puff up in seconds. Flip over and cook for a few seconds more. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with kebabs, chutney and curry.

Now, my poori didn't puff up like it was supposed to either because a.) I should have used the chipati flour, b.) I didn't knead the dough for 10 minutes or c.) I didn't use enough oil because I ran out. They were still delicious, but just tasted more like paratha bread. I think this may require more practice!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.