Search My Recipes

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Lemon-Tarragon Chicken Kebabs and Summery Sides

The Kebabs
Bamboo skewers
Chicken breast (cut into large chunks)
Juice from one lemon (or half, depending on how many you're making)
Fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper

Corn on the Cob With Tarragon
Corn on the cob
EVOO
Chopped tarragon
Salt and pepper to taste

Romaine and Radish Salad With Creamy Parm Dressing
Romaine hearts, chopped
Radishes, quartered
1/4 cup EVOO
1/8 cup Sour cream
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 TBS White wine vinegar
Salt and pepper

I spent most of the morning at my office computer browsing the usual cooking sites. It's a nice, relaxing way to ease into the work day after a long weekend. Chicken was on the menu tonight, but how to prepare it was the question. It was a hot and humid day, so something seasonal was in order. So many endless possibilities when it comes to chicken. I have been using our grill pan a lot lately (sadly we have no outdoor grill, sigh), so I decided on kebabs instead of the usual grilled chicken breast. I am inspired by a corn dish from Real Simple, Corn on the Cob with Tarragon. Corn on the cob! There is nothing more summery than that! Tarragon does go well with chicken. I also found a salad recipe with arugula, radishes, fennel, and green beans with a creamy dressing (I am currently obsessed with radishes, though I never really liked them before. Maybe just a newly acquired taste that has developed). I'm excited, I think this is going to be delish.

I make my shopping list before heading out of the office to Grand Central Market. It's become my go-to spot to pick up fresh veggies and other goodies. It's always packed though, and a gamble because they don't always have what I need. And alas, no arugula and no green beans! Time to improvise. I grab some romaine and radishes to make my salad.

I make it home with my bag of groceries and get to work. I slide the chicken chunks onto the skewers and marinate in the lemon, tarragon and salt and pepper while I wait for the boil water for the corn. I whisk the EVOO, sour cream, cheese, vinegar and S&P for the dressing and get the romaine ready. I throw the skewers on our grill pan while I chop up some more tarragon for the corn and quarter the radishes. The chicken is taking a long time to cook, and we're both starving, so I through the chicken under the broiler for 5 minutes. It's perfectly done; time to put everything together! I coat the cooked corn cobs in some EVOO, S&P, and the chopped tarragon. I slice some big 'ole pieces of eight-grain bread. Top the romaine and radishes with the dressing. Pour some wine. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.