Search My Recipes

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Roasted Balsamic Veggie Salad

Roasted Balsamic Vegetables with Fresh Mozzarella
1 Red bell pepper cut into chunks
1 Small squash sliced cross wise
1 Fennel bulb quartered
2 Garlic cloves chopped
EVOO
Balsamic vinegar (We used a port wine vinegar which is good if you can find it)
Fresh Mozzarella cut into chunks

It was just one of those nights when we had really random items in our fridge that needed to be consumed: $10 worth of fresh mozzarella, bell peppers, fennel, squash, chicken. What the hell are we going to make from this? You can't go wrong with roasting vegetables, and I'm thinking I can make some sort of salad out of them and incorporate the mozzarella. I tossed the garlic and veggies in EVOO and balsamic on a cookie sheet and roasted for about 25-30 min at 475. I let cool while I grilled up some chicken marinated in garlic, EVOO and balsamic. Once the chicken was done, I added the mozzarella to my cooled veggies for my "salad." Rich and I gobbled it up! Not bad for on the spot improvising. The fennel, which usually has a very strong flavor, was sweet and caramelized. If you're not a fan, you can pretty much use any vegetable for this dish. The mozzarella added some creaminess, but you can surely substitue feta or goat cheeses. Since we descended on this meal like vultures, we didn't take any pictures first!

1 comment:

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.