Search My Recipes

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Moroccan-Style Couscous With Tofu

Moroccan-Style Couscous With Tofu
Packaged curried couscous, such as Near East brand
Handful of golden raisins
1 Package of extra firm tofu
1 Japanese eggplant
1 Zucchini
1 Small sweet onion
EVOO
Salt and pepper
Juice of one lemon
Cilantro

I like to eat vegetarian at least a few days out of the week, it makes me feel healthier. I'm also a tofu nut-it's so easy to cook and so versatile. If I don't have any meat in the fridge, I know I can always pick up a package in Grand Central Market with some vegetables to whip up a quick dinner. Since there are so many possibilities, sometimes it can be hard to decide what to make it with. Luckily, I stumbled upon a recipe that uses package curried couscous, and I just so happen to have a box on hand. So that gave me the idea to grill the tofu and some veggies to top the couscous. The recipe calls for currants, but I have golden raisins which also pair well with Moroccan dishes. I prepare the couscous according to package directions and add the raisins as it steams. It's a great alternative to making pasta or rice, since it only takes minutes to cook. I slice zucchini, eggplant, onions, and tofu length wise and season with olive oil, salt and pepper, lemon juice, and cilantro. I squeeze the living daylights out of my tofu (i.e. I wrap in paper towels and squish between two plates weighted with a can) so it browns nicely and doesn't fall apart while cooking. I spoon the couscous into a bowl and top with the grilled tofu and vegetable slices and garnish with more cilantro.

Easiest. Dinner. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.