Search My Recipes

Friday, July 30, 2010

The Most Perfect Guacamole

Guacamole
2 Ripe avocados
Juice of 2 limes
3-4 Garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Medium onion, minced
Handful cilantro leaves. chopped
Cumin
Cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

I wanted to have some guacamole to go with my grilled chicken quesadillas with portabella and sweet red peppers for dinner. Lucky for me, the grocery store had a "guacamole section" set up with ripe avocados, limes, garlic, tomatoes and...seasoning mix? Sure, I was tempted at first to buy the pre-mix of spices and seasonings, but I'm going to do this right! So this is my no-recipe recipe for guacamole, which turned out perfectly spicy and zesty. Just use your gut, and taste a long the way so it's to your liking.

First, I finely chop the garlic, onions and cilantro and throw in a bowl. I used a Spanish onion, but you can also use red or try shallots if you want to get fancy. I then add about a teaspoon each of cumin and cayenne. You can also add a minced jalapeno or Serrano chili for more heat. I scoop out the avocado into the bowl and start mashing with the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. If you're like me and put avocados on everything this would also be great on sandwiches, crostinis, or on top of grilled meats. Olé!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.