Search My Recipes

Monday, March 7, 2011

Soup's On!

Minestrone Soup
3 TBS EVOO
1 Medium onion, diced
1 Carrot, diced
1 Celery stalk, diced
2 Cloves garlic, minced
2 Cups potatoes, cubed
Salt and fresh ground pepper
1 TBS Italian seasoning
1 Can crushed plum tomatoes
5 Cups of water
1 Can white beans
1 Cup frozen peas

I must say that one of my top favorite food writers is Mark Bittman. His simple, yet brilliant variations have always been a success in my kitchen. I always looked forward to The Minimalist and would immediately print (or cut out) the article for my recipe files, so I was sad learn about the end of his column in January. However, I came across Creamy, Brothy, Earthy Hearty on customizable soups last week in The New York Times (Check it out here), and just couldn't wait to give these (non) recipes a try while the weather is still cold. Here is my variation on a variation.

Sauté onion, carrot, celery and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add beans and peas; simmer for 20 minutes. I served with some grated Parmesan cheese and thick slices of toasty 8-grain bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
The Hungry Yuppies, Annie and Rich, are a young couple from CT who are self-proclaimed foodies. Annie is the chef, and Rich is her willing taste tester. Juggling a full time job in the city wasn't going to get in the way of Annie's love for cooking. It's about eating well whether you have just 30 minutes on a Monday night, or all day on a rainy Sunday.